Grass carp is a larger species of freshwater fish of eastern Asia, and it is quite popular with anglers. But somebody doesn’t know how to catch a grass carp in the right way.
Catching a grass carp is a little bit tricky, so it would be better to prepare yourself before going to grass carp catching trips. For example, I would like to say you would be better conscious when choosing fishing gear and bait.
And let me tell you the simple and effective strategies I have gained from my grass carp trips.
- 1 A grass carp features which help you figure out it
- 2 How to catch a grass carp easily and quickly?
- 3 Appropriate fishing gear
- 4 Fishing rod:
- 5 Fishing reel:
- 6 Hook:
- 7 Bait:
- 8 Landing net:
- 9 Carp Landing Nets
- 10 Right techniques for grass carp
- 11 Chumming:
- 12 Sight fishing:
- 13 Location of grass carp
- 14 Grass carps catching Methods:
- 15 Move slowly:
- 16 Be very patient:
- 17 Cast carefully:
- 18 Outsmart:
- 19 The cautions for catching a grass carp
- 20 FAQs:
- 21 1. What is the best bait to use to catch a grass carp?
- 22 2. Can you eat grass carp?
- 23 3. Can you catch grass carp with bread?
- 24 4. What time of day is best for carp fishing?
- 25 Final Words:
A grass carp features which help you figure out it
- A larger sizes Asia originated freshwater fish
- This fish is of elongated shape and thicker from both two sides
- The eyes size is very smaller than its body size
- It has no any barbels but having a pair of strong lips
- Grass carp has a great overlapping scale
- Its dorsal fin has 8 to 10 rays in each
- Variable color has in the grass carp’s body like dark olive, green, or grey
- The sides color maybe in yellow color
- It is very fast-growing, and it can grow up to 40 kilograms.
How to catch a grass carp easily and quickly?
I am a challenging angler to catch grass carp fish, and I have already known the tricks to handle a grass carp. So, here are my special tips to be a success without much effort. I want to give importance to four factors.
- Appropriate fishing gear
- Right techniques for grass carp
- Location of grass carp
Appropriate fishing gear
I noticed that the medium to heavier fishing rod works best for larger size grass carp fish. It would help if you fought when you will catch a carp; this is why the rod should have to be strong enough to prevent the breaking. All expert anglers recommend using seven feet longer rod and assuming that the fishing rod will be good.
Choose such a powerful reel that can easily hold up to 200 yards line. Always remember to go smaller because it will be helpful to keep the carp around the shore. Sometimes, the fish bites and gets stuck in the bait, you have to loosen the drag a bit and start to fight with the fish.
Generally, grass carp fish are very discreet to easily understand the hook position if you set up a larger hook. That’s why I believe in the smaller-sized hook so that the fish cannot see hooks’
presence. So, try to use a 4 -1/0 sizes smaller hook and choose a circle shape hook to get the best result. It will make it easier for your fish to get off the hook next time.
Initially, I used cherry tomatoes, fresh-cut grass, and buttermilk to catch carp, and they were very effective. But later I found out about some more grass carp food.
These are the acorns, catalpa worms, dog food, and cat food. Besides, the new oak leaves, tomato worms, and green beans also effective bait for grass carp.
A good quality landing net is essential to store this larger fish which can be up to 30 pounds. It is a powerful fish free from the fishing hook within a few seconds because of the larger size. So, you have to take a strong net if you don’t want to leave the fish.
Carp Landing Nets
Right techniques for grass carp
Despite seeing the grass carp in the water on a bright sunny day, it is not easy to catch it. But it would be good if you operate the fishing reel silently. Chumming could be very helpful for you.
Chumming is a fishing lure that could be wet or dry. I would say to throw some chum when you cast your line with artificial or natural bait. Grass carp can be spotted in the same place if you throw the chum along with the bait.
You can do this chumming spread a few days in advance so that it is to your advantage to get a match on a specific day. In this case, I knew how to catch carp with corn very well and doesn’t spread a bad garbage smell.
Maybe you are targeting transparent shallow water for grass carp. In this case, you can get more fun because the fish will be seen clearly under the water even when a fish will bite on the bait. Good to know that chum lure is also good for fun fishing.
Location of grass carp
At first, I would have to say that the original place of grass carp is eastern Asia. This species is good to control the growth of underwater weeds and grass. That’s why once upon a time, grass carp species were brought to America. And this fish can control the grass and weeds in ponds and lakes very well, but they have fast grown incredibly.
The next time, these fish are found in Alaska, Montana, Rhode Island Maine, and Vermont in the USA. Do note that grass carp would love to stay in shallow freshwater like pond and lake. However, it is essential to know how to catch a grass carp in a pond. Here are more some factors to find out the grass carp location.
- Grass carp would love to stay heavily vegetated water
- It is found in slow-moving water like pond and river
- These species can survive in the over cold water
- They can live in confined spaces with less oxygen
Grass carps catching Methods:
You must have to walk or move slowly if possible then keep yourself invisible to the fish. Good to know that carp fish can see the outside of water even they are highly conscious about the movement or sound. So, you can’t make any sounds.
Be very patient:
Being patient is most crucial for carp fish. Sometimes you may have to wait for hours without seeing any fish. But never give up to wait.
When casting, you have to cast it in the right place. Keep in mind that once you cast in the wrong place, you can waste time finding fish.
Always be careful as the fish may fall into the water again. However, you can use a landing to keep the fish secure.
The cautions for catching a grass carp
- Walk very slowly and carry the fishing rode carefully without fewer sounds
- Try to drag the fly slowly when you target the fish
- Don’t set up the hook by yourself pull the line so that the fish can bite on the hook
- Be aware when hooking out a grass carp because it may jump to go the water again
- Use a good quality unhooking mat for larger grass carp
1. What is the best bait to use to catch a grass carp?
Although there are many bait items for grass carp, the most effective bait is sweet corn. Sweat corn is most favorable to the grass carp. Also, it is easy to use and affordable too.
2. Can you eat grass carp?
Yes, of course, you can eat grass carp. Even grass carp is being eaten as a popular dish in several regions of the united states. There have a lot of popular grass carp recipes in the USA.
3. Can you catch grass carp with bread?
Bread is not a suitable lure for a grass carp. But it frequently works when the fish are very much hungry.
4. What time of day is best for carp fishing?
You can catch carp at any time of the day but the best time is morning and evening.
Grass carp is very funny if you can apply your tricks correctly. Otherwise, it may seem hard to you. I have already said about the secrets of the grass carp catching process. Hope you can understand. I will update this content regularly with the latest information.