Are you tired of paddling your kayak? Now want someone else to do the task? Install a kayak sailing on the kayak and feel relaxed.
A kayak is a small, narrow water vehicle that is empowered by a double-bladed paddle. There is a wide variety in the type and size of the kayak. As a result, kayak sailing also varies with the type and size of the kayak. But some people want to put a kayak sail but don’t know where to start and how to use it. Sometimes they end up choosing the wrong kayak sail and can’t enjoy the riding.
Therefore, in this article, I am going to discuss How to use a kayak sail in the easiest way. Besides, you will get some additional topics regarding kayak sail and some answers to the questions in the FAQ section. So, let’s start.
- 1 Advantages of using a kayak sail
- 2 How to Put a Sail on a Kayak
- 3 Step 1: make holes:
- 4 Step 2: fixing cloth with mast:
- 5 Step 3: using rope to secure the sail:
- 6 Step 4: use oak woods:
- 7 how to use a kayak sail
- 8 FAQ:
- 9 Are kayak sails really good?
- 10 How to fold a kayak sail?
- 11 How fast can you go with a kayak sail?
- 12 Final verdict:
Advantages of using a kayak sail
A kayak sail can blast your riding experience with lots of relaxation and happiness. Along with this, you will have some extra advantages:
- Change the wind flow from the foe to your friend: When you have a kayak sail on your kayak, the sail will use the wind flow power to direct the boat. As a result, the rider can go further within a short time.
- Added speed: The proper utilization of the wind flow by the sail will add some extra speed to the boat. As a result, the rider will have to do less paddling and exert less manual energy.
- less transport energy: A kayak sail will cost less transport energy because of the wind flow.
- Get time: A rider can have his breakfast or lunch in the sea. But that doesn’t mean you have to stop your kayak in the middle of the journey. Rely on the sail to do the task.
- Suitable for a long tour: A kayak sailing is more helpful for a long tour, for instance, a tour for two to three days where the rider needs to paddle for a long time.
How to Put a Sail on a Kayak
One can easily put a kayak sail on his kayak. For to do so, you will need some materials:
Step 1: make holes:
Make holes with drills in the bottom part of the mast and fix it to the kayak. Take and set the PVC pipes at the appropriate height. But generally, it is suggested to have a mast of approximately 2 meters in height
Step 2: fixing cloth with mast:
Take your curtain cloth and give it a triangular shape. Then Fix each side of the cloth with the mast. Make sure you have tightly fixed the cloth with the mast so that the sail will not come off during strong wind.
Step 3: using rope to secure the sail:
This part is one of the key steps to have a secured yet comfortable riding. Use a strong strand to retain the free vertex of the sail and tie the rope properly.
Step 4: use oak woods:
Place some oak woods on each side of the mast. The wood will secure the mast and prevent the mast from being loosened during the flow of the wind.
how to use a kayak sail
Are kayak sails really good?
Yes, it is. Kayak sails will provide you with greater comfortability since wind flow will direct the boat, and you don’t have to paddle kayak all the time. It is suitable for multiple-day tours and for open water spaces where a modest breeze exists. It will save your transport and manual energy, and add speed so that you can go further with less time.
How to fold a kayak sail?
One can fold the kayak sail when it is not using it. To do so, remove the sail from the kayak and unfold the whole sail on the ground. There are parts that a rider can fold. You just have to follow the folding manuals. Twist the sail at the middle part of the sail. It will create two parts of the sail on the top and bottom. Then just adjust the bottom part with the top one and keep it in a bag. You are ready to go now.
How fast can you go with a kayak sail?
A kayak sail will increase the speed of a boat then you can simply paddling. Based on your kayak increase weight and expert level, the Kayak sail will add speed in almost 12 knots of wind equal to 14 mph with Force 4.
A kayak sail is something that has so many advantages to offer a rider. It is not only budget-friendly but also increases your mobility. At the same time, it will offer you a relaxed riding experience by using the wind flow.
While most people struggle with how to use a kayak sail, I believe they will find this article helpful.